HAYGROUND DEVELOPMENT OFFICER JOB DESCRIPTION
Hayground School is seeking a Development Officer to oversee its upcoming Capital Campaign in coordination with Hayground’s other fundraising activities. This newly developed position provides the opportunity to create and build a fundraising framework in advancement of Hayground's mission – to create a community of students and mentors who explore together the central questions of human culture in the natural world — and thus enable Hayground to further its role as a private school with a public mission.
CAPITAL CAMPAIGN OVERVIEW
This campaign will be designed to raise $5 million to $7 million for the following (tentative):
- Construction of a new Integrated Arts and Sciences Center and related campus improvements (~ $2 million)
- Funding a significant portion of Hayground Tuition Assistance Program for the next 5 years (~ $2 million - $3 million)
- Solidifying long-term financial stability by reducing debt and/or establishing the Hayground Endowment (~ $1 million - $2 million)
Experience in capital campaign design and execution, as well as in marketing, management, and community involvement is required.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and implement a comprehensive fundraising plan, primarily in the form of a Capital Campaign, in partnership with the Hayground Board of Trustees and Development Committee
- Coordinate Hayground’s major gift fundraising
- Help prioritize, cultivate, solicit, and steward existing donors and prospects already identified by Hayground Development Committee
- Expand key prospect list by reviewing 1) Hayground’s past donor database; 2) current and past Hayground Camp parent lists; and 3) public databases of private individuals and foundations with either geographical or thematic overlap with Hayground
- Partner with various Hayground Board and Committee members to cultivate donor relationships
- Work with Hayground Chefs Dinner Committee and Camp leadership to coordinate prospect and sponsorship solicitations
- Guide Hayground and its committees and staff in the exploration of possible grant applications for both Hayground School and Hayground Camp
- Work with the Development Committee and its outside marketing consultants (Blue Shoe Strategy) to create, and in some cases execute, an effective branding strategy and marketing plan for the various components of the Hayground complex
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL HAVE
- A deep, abiding passion for the school’s/camp’s child-centered mission and commitment to diversity
- Track record of asking for and closing major gifts
- Proven ability to articulate a compelling vision and inspire board, staff, donors, volunteers and public to achieve it
- A high degree of self-awareness, self-motivation, ingenuity, and creativity
- Open minded, adaptable and collaborative workplace skills
- High ethical standards and discretion
- Ability to maintain positive and authentic relationships
- Attention to detail and superior organizational abilities
- Excellent follow-through and a commitment to donor customer service
- Commitment to diligently documenting contact information, prospect research, and interaction reports
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Willingness to be mentored and/or mentor others
- Qualifications: Minimum qualifications include a Bachelor’s Degree, 5 to 10 years of development or related work experience, and demonstrated success in fundraising, marketing, and communications
EXISTING HAYGROUND STRUCTURE / ASSETS
- Hayground has a consensus-driven leadership structure made up of a Board of Trustees, an Administrative Committee, and a Development Committee. The Development Committee employs an Administrative Assistant who coordinates the Hayground Annual Appeal and maintains the Fundraiser database among other activities.
- Hayground’s two largest sources of income are its summer camp and Chef’s Dinner special event, the latter being overseen by a committee of volunteers
- Blue Shoe Strategy serves as Hayground’s outside marketing consultant. This is a relatively new relationship designed to support a strengthened Hayground.org website, email campaigns, and social media postings.
- Hayground maintains a significant commitment to diversity, both cultural and socio-economic. Approximately 80% of Hayground School families receive financial aid totaling in excess of $1Million each year.
Applicants should send a cover letter and their resume to:
Marcelle Langendal: firstname.lastname@example.org